About Alicia Eaton - Creator of the ‘Stop Bedwetting in 7 Days’ programme:
Let’s face it, bedwetting solutions is a pretty unusual subject to become an expert in, so I think I have some explaining to do – for you’ll be wondering how I got into all of this.
I’ve been fascinated in children’s development ever since I became a mum to my own three children. When they were still pre-school age, I trained as a Montessori Teacher and went on to open my own School in Hertfordshire. I ran for this for 5 years and I must have given it a solid foundation as it’s still running now, nearly 20 years after I opened it!
Keen to expand my knowledge and work with children in more challenging situations, I went on to work at the Anna Freud Centre in London and I also studied Psychoanalytic Child Development here. My thirst for knowledge then continued and I decided to train as an Integrative Psychotherapist and Clinical Hypnotherapist – I was invited to join a Harley Street practice after this, in 2004.
In that same year, I not only went on to train with Richard Bandler and Paul McKenna in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), but thereafter I started a long association of assisting Paul McKenna with his seminars – this continued for many years.
To begin with, I wasn’t surprised that lots of parents started to bring their children to Harley Street to see me – after all, I’d had a lot of experience of working with little ones. What was surprising however, was how many of these visits were about the same problem – solutions for bedwetting.
I dismissed it as a bit of a coincidence, but gradually I began to realise what a widespread problem it really is and how much it can affect a child’s self-esteem, confidence and overall sense of wellbeing. I listened to stories of nightmare school trips and heard about the elaborate plans made to smuggle in night-time pull-ups for sleepovers. I also realized that this problem is affecting more teenagers than ever before – for too many children simply grow into the habit, rather than outgrowing it.
I started to get passionate about helping as many children as possible get dry at night – after all, it could change the course of their lives forever.
I remember one day when a 10 year old girl called Sarah came to see me. She’d tried everything to get dry at night – she’d eventually been referred to a Clinic at the local hospital and prescribed powerful drugs designed to dry up bodily fluids. Even these didn’t work, although she continued to take them in the hope that one day they perhaps would. The side effects of dry, flaking skin were clear to see and they gave her headaches too.
What really shocked me though, was that she was also prescribed anti-depressants – not because she was depressed, although admittedly she was pretty unhappy – but because it was hoped that the muscle relaxing effect of these would stop her bladder from wanting to empty at night.
I couldn’t understand how we could possibly do this to our children before trying other more natural methods first. I felt an enormous sense of duty to spread the word about the mind/body training exercises I’d devised and that had already proved so successful for so many children over the years. And indeed, these did help Sarah leave her problems behind, in just a few short weeks and she quickly came off all medication for good.
The Stop Bedwetting in 7 Days story
I decided to package up my exercises into a week long programme and wrote a book so parents could sit down with their own children and do the same things that I did. Stop Bedwetting in 7 Days was first published in 2009 and it quickly became a best-seller. It caught the attention of the NHS and I started to receive referrals from Guys’ and St. Thomas’s Hospital. I became even more determined to help as many children as possible get dry at night and started getting enquiries from all around the world. People even started to fly in from Switzerland and the U.S for private appointments to see me.
But of course, I know this is not possible for everyone and I started to think about how I could help more and more children get dry at night. In 2012, things really started to take off – I refined the programme and released a 2nd edition of the Book. I also decided to film a Stop Bedwetting in 7 Days Video Programme – an online series of daily videos where I give instructions to the child on how to keep their bed dry at night. So now, whilst not everyone can benefit from a face-to-face consultation, parents do have the option of letting me do the work for them, as their child simply watches on a laptop or tablet.
We all know that kids need no extra encouragement to sit and watch something on a screen, so this is proving to be particularly popular and is now watched by kids all around the world. Each day, as I receive more and more emails from grateful families around the world, I know the hard work was all worth it.
My Qualifications and Training:
- Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy and Clinical Hypnotherapy (2002-03)
- Licensed Trainer of NLP – Society of NLP (2013)
- Advanced NLP Therapeutic Specialist (2006) and Master NLP Practitioner (2004) licensed by the Society of NLP. (Trained by Richard Bandler and Paul McKenna — as well as Assistant to Paul McKenna on his seminars for several years.)
- Mindfulness training – Oxford University Mindfulness Centre – Teaching Mindfulness in Non-clinical Settings; Teaching Mindfulness to Groups (2014)
- Diploma in Gastric Band Hypnotherapy (2011)
- Thought Field Therapy Practitioner (Roger Callahan’s TFT Association) (2004)
- AMI trained Montessori Teacher (1993-94)
- National Centre for Eating Disorders – Binge-eating and Childhood Obesity specialist training (2008)
- Specialist NLP training – for overcoming problems with dyslexia, spelling, reading, concentration and memory (2008)
- Coaching skills – personally coached and trained by Michael Neill (author of best-selling ‘You Can Have What You Want’) on his Success Coaching, Coaching Mastery and Effortless Success programmes. (2007-2008)
- Senior Qualification awarded by General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (2009)
- Registered Member of: GHR (General Hypnotherapy Register); NCP (National Council of Psychotherapists); ISMA (International Stress Management Association); ANLP (Association of NLP)